Saturday, April 30, 2005

Need a recipe?

I was looking for a caramel corn recipe that I love. I didn't have it in the limited stash that I brought with me, my Mom couldn't find it, and my sister was in her car when I phoned and couldn't help me. But my sister suggested looking up the recipe on the Internet. As always, Google did not let me down and I found the recipe plus a great Web site.

If you're hunting for a recipe, I highly recommend Cooks.com It has a robust search engine and about any recipe you can imagine. I found my caramel corn recipe in under 1 min. (and several variations on it).

By the way, here's the recipe. It is a little time consuming, but produces caramel corn just like you'll get from a popcorn store.

Caramel Corn
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
6 qts. popped popcorn
1-20 oz. bag salted peanuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease two large, shallow baking pans. Remove unpopped kernels from popped popcorn. In a saucepan, melt butter over low to medium heat. Add brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower heat, and gently boil for 5 minutes, continuing to stir. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla, salt and soda.
Mix caramel sauce and popcorn (and peanuts-if desired) together. Spread coated popcorn evenly in the two pans. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool and break caramel corn apart before serving.

No comments: