Thursday, June 26, 2014

Best Cooking Tip - Ever

I wish I had know this tip years ago. It solves a long-term cooking problem I've had that becomes even worse each Easter. The problem is how to peel an egg without tearing it to shreds? The answer? Stay tuned.

You see, I've tried numerous "tricks." Older eggs peel better than very fresh eggs, so I would buy eggs a couple of weeks in advance of when I would need them to ensure some "aging." But even this doesn't guarantee a smooth peel.

Salting the cooking water is another recommendation. But I never had any luck with that tip.

Running the eggs under water while you peel them brings moderate success if you can break the thin membrane under the shell and get water under it. Still, not a foolproof method.

So what is the answer? A pinch of baking soda in the cooking water.

Adding just a pinch of baking soda to the water as you cook the eggs makes the boiled eggs peel easily. I and others I know have tried this several times now and it works like a charm. No more ragged eggs. They peel smoothly and perfectly.

Oh, if I had only known sooner...

No comments: