Friday, April 22, 2016

Fiesta Fun

IT'S FIESTA!

The last two weeks of April are Fiesta in San Antonio. It is a city-wide celebration that incorporates hundreds of events, food and fun. To celebrate, I decided to make my first fiesta wreath. Paper flowers are seen everywhere during fiesta, but I had never made them successfully. 

After some YouTube viewing and a little research I made the wreath above. I made two wreaths in one evening while I watched a movie. The time consuming part is fluffing out the paper flowers.

Pre-Cut Flowers Saves Time
Not handy? I found some pre-cut paper flowers at Dollar Tree. The yellow and pink flowers were from a garland that I cut apart. I used the string from the garland to tie the flowers onto the metal frame. I cut down some larger flowers (the pink and blue ones at the bottom of the wreath) that were also pre-cut. I made the green and purple flowers and the light blue flowers myself from tissue paper also purchased at Dollar Tree.  They don't have the tissue flowers on their Website, but I found them in my local store. You can purchase pre-made tissue flowers for about .24 each at Aliexpress.

Other Materials
The 18" wreath frame was from Michael's and the ribbon was another Dollar Tree purchase.  I used the curling ribbon and leftover garland string to tie the paper flowers that I made.

How To Make the Wreath
Wreath making is easy. I used 11 smaller flowers (about 6") on the sides and top of the wreath. Each flower is simply tied to the metal wreath. Three larger flowers  (8") were tied to the bottom. Long curling ribbon is tied underneath the flowers on the bottom of the wire wreath. 

This is a very simple project that look festive. When the flowers are crushed or faded, they are easily replaced since they are just tied onto the wreath and not glued. 

Happy Fiesta!

No comments: