Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pecans - From Tree to Tummy

My friend's pecan trees worked overtime this year. She had so many pecans, that she shared them with me, as long as I picked them up. This was an easy task as she has a pecan roller. This little gadget works great. Rolling it on the ground takes little effort, and the pecans pop right into the cage. They remain there until you dump them out. It is a real back saver.

Once collected, we wash and crack them. This is very labor-intensive. I prefer to crack them by hand. My friend has a fancier table mounted hand cracker. I find I have more control with the hand cracker. The key to getting whole pecans or halves seems to be in removing the shell in the center of the nut first, thus preventing breaking the nut in half. This prevents having to pick little bits of nut meats out of the shells. It is easy to shell the pecans while watching TV, so I just keep some handy as I view my favorite shows.

While raw pecans are tasty, nothing compares to the roasted ones. to roast the pecans:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Place nuts in a shallow pan. Spray with cooking spray and shake to coat the nuts.

Bake nuts for exactly 10 min. (longer and you may scorch them, shorter and they aren't fully roasted.)

Remove from oven and immediately salt (I use popcorn salt as it is finer and sticks better).  Enjoy!


 

No comments: