Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reblogging - Lessons since last time

It's been 5 long months since I've last blogged. But the past 5 months have taught me one thing.

Get regular mammograms

OK, so I put it off for a few years. Being in my mid-40's is a little late to start, but I'm glad I finally made time for the test. I had a very scary month, but after 5 additional diagnostic tests, I came back with a clean bill of health.

But the truth is, had I had regular screenings, I might not have needed all the procedures I endured. I didn't have a baseline for the doctors to compare my current scan to.

Granted, they did find a lump that needed investigation. Had it not been benign, I would have been in some trouble as it wasn't a tiny lump.

After the two needle biopsies (the needles keep getting bigger by the way with each test), a compression mammogram (which makes the regular one look like a massage) and ultrasound (the only way to test), the annual mammogram now seems like no big deal.

Sure a mammogram isn't the most comfortable few minutes you'll spend each year, but it isn't that bad when you compare it to the alternative. Personally, I like being healthy and cancer-free.

No comments: